Wednesday 6 October 2010

making corsets out of binbags.

Finally, the internet's been sorted...I can start blogging!

Throughout the last two weeks fashion and textiles has been group B's rotation. We started off the week with observational drawings in unconventional ways...at first the whole idea of holding someone elses hand and drawing with it came across as a bit strange and pretty pointless, but I soon got really into it and discovered that drawing with different techniques can really change the final image....and, most of the time make it more interesting.


as we continued the following week, we started turning 2D objects into 3D objects...I was working with photos of a half eaten apple. Experimenting with thread and sewing mainly, I found this part of the rotation really interesting! despite poking myself with the needle SO MANY TIMES!
The two images above are two examples of my 2D to 3D work the top one titled "expand and compress" and the bottom "displace and replace"    I like making work which is aesthetically pleasing yet also has an underlying message, which is what I tried to do with these two pieces.

After all the displacing and replacing and cutting and sewing I realised that fashion textiles is definatley an area I would consider going into. When walking into the class for the first time I was expecting to be taught how to make a corset out of a bin liner or something...but we werent subjected to any of that (thank God). I really enjoyed the two weeks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment